4aGoodCause supports both Authorize.net and Stripe as payment processors. You can connect your 4aGoodCause fundraising pages to either provider to process online payments from your donors for online donations, event registrations, and more.
Both providers are excellent choices for nonprofits.
Please use the guide below to help you choose which provider might be the best fit for your organization.
If you are not signed up with either of these providers we can help you acquire an account.
Stripe is a third-party payments processor. Similar to PayPal or Square, it’s a software tool that websites can connect to process online payments. Stripe is an all-in-one provider. This means it handles both parts of a payment transaction, the authorization of the card and the settlement of the funds into your bank account. Stripe will deposit your funds in two business days following the transaction date. Stripe fees are taken out of each transaction before deposit. Stripe offers solutions for recurring payments, fraud protection and integrations with many third-party tools. Stripe is a platform built for developers (like 4aGoodCause) to build solutions for payment processing.
Stripe is an affordable payment processor for smaller nonprofits that process a low volume of online credit card donations.
- 2.2% + 30¢ for most cards (discounted pricing for 501c3 nonprofits)
- 3.5% for American Express
- No monthly fees
Payment methods supported by 4aGoodCause through Stripe
- American Express
- Diner's Club
- Many international credit cards
- Fast, easy setup
- Simple pricing
- Easy to use dashboard
- Data portability (easier to get card info if you need to switch)
- Primarily for online processing only
- No virtual terminal for in-person processing
- Nonprofits processing less than $10,000 per month
- Nonprofits that want a single payment provider
- Nonprofits that want to get set up and processing payments quickly
How to sign up
Authorize.net is a payment gateway. A payment gateway is a service that allows accepting credit cards over the Internet. A payment gateway does for a website what a swipe terminal does for a physical store like a Wal-Mart: it encrypts the credit card data and sends it out securely over the payment network. Authorize.net does not handle the deposits of funds from credit cards into your bank account. For this, Authorize.net relies on a separate account, a merchant account. A merchant account is an account at an Acquiring Bank and is used to fund you for your credit card transactions.
Your merchant account will deposit your funds 1-3 business days following the transaction date. It will deposit 100% of your donation and take its fees out once a month.
Authorize.net is a full-featured gateway that offers solutions for recurring payments, fraud protection, ACH payments and in-person processing (virtual terminal and mobile app). Authorize.net is a well-established company that helps small businesses and nonprofits process payments easily and reliably.
Merchant accounts and the Authorize.net payment gateway are sold through many banks, merchant companies, and resellers so the pricing can vary. While Authorize.net sells an all-in-one solution of a merchant account plus gateway from its website, this is typically not the best pricing. You can typically get a better price by going through a reseller. 4aGoodCause is a reseller as are many of the merchant account providers we partner with.
While we believe our merchant account partner offers the best rates and service available if you want to use 4aGoodCause with your own merchant account provider we can typically still work with you. Contact us for compatibility details.
Should you need to acquire a merchant account and Authorize.net through 4aGoodCause here is our pricing.
- $20/month and $0.10 per transaction
- Optional Echeck Processing at $10/month or 0.75% per transaction
Merchant account (provided by our partner Dharma Merchant Services)
- $20/month and 0.10% and $0.11 per transaction above interchange
Interchange-plus pricing works by adding a constant, flat margin on top of the Interchange rate (the true or wholesale cost of processing a card). Our partner, Dharma Merchant Services, passes through whatever the rate is from the credit card company on the card you are processing through to you and adds a small, nonprofit-discounted margin for themselves. Your processing rate will vary depending on what types of cards you are accepting. Debit cards are cheaper to accept than rewards, corporate, platinum cards for example. Your rate may vary between 1% and 3% depending on the card. At higher processing volume (typically $10,000 a month) you can save with this pricing model versus a flat fee pricing offering from providers such as Stripe because you have more exposure to cheaper cards like debit cards.
Payment methods supported by 4aGoodcause through Authorize.net
- American Express
- Diner's Club
- E-check (ACH)
- Great customer support
- Advanced security and fraud protection
- Account portability (gateway supported by most all merchant providers)
- Easier accounting (Fees taken out once a month, not on each transaction)
- Requires a separate merchant account
- More complex pricing (but usually less expensive at higher volume)
- Data portability (harder to get card info if you need to switch)
- Nonprofits processing more than $10,000 per month
- Nonprofits that want to process ACH payments
- Nonprofits that need to process in-person payments in addition to online
How to sign up
Still have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to help you choose the payment provider that works best for your nonprofit.